MSc physics is post graduate degree program. Primary objective is to help student to understand pure physics and its application in day to day life.It finds application in various fields especially in Research and Technology
The topics of study come under classical mechanics, quantum mechanics nuclear physics ,astrophysics , mathematical physics,electromagnetism solid state Physics electronics etc.The entire course is a combination of academic curriculum ,laboratory ,project work and thesis
MSc physics course help students to make good career in government sector as well Research and development.Students who have good analytical thinking and numerical ability skill and want to pursue a career in technological fields can opt MSc physics .After gaining enough knowledge and skill can go for higher studies.
What actually makes physics so interesting are its widely used applications,. When you think about it Physics is applicable in nearly all areas of science and research such as space research, nuclear energy, electronics, development engineering etc.
Moreover, the skills developed while studying Physics, particularly the ability to analyze and apply information, gives one a good head start, in any field, one wishes to get in. As these skills are useful even in the management disciplines.
Career Options after M.Sc. Physics
Graduates in M.Sc Physics can easily avail of technical jobs, both in the private and public sector. Some of the common job positions or profiles for a physics enthusiast are Online tutor, College lecturer, Assistant Professor, Observation Scientist, Laboratory Technician, School Science Technician or Research Analyst, Assistant Scientist, Physics Training Manager, Software Engineer, Network Administrator, Security Expert, Systems Support Administrator, Interface Engineer etc.
They can apply for jobs in Aerospace and Defence, Automobile, IT and Software, Railways, Nuclear and Renewable energy, Oil and Gas, Electronics and Telecommunications and the Manufacturing sector.
Few Other Options:
- Firstly, as physicists, one can be involved in research and development in specialized branches in renowned institution
- One can pursue an M.Tech degree in a variety of engineering or technology disciplines such as aeronautical, automobile, instrumentation, electronics and communication, or computer sciences. after attaining GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) score
- If you have a passion for teaching, you could also apply in government or private colleges and universities; polytechnic institutes, degree colleges, engineering colleges, IITs, IISc etc. The minimum requirement is M.Sc. Physics and UGC-CSIR NET exam for lectureship and JRF. Moving on, an M.Sc. Physics followed by a BEd can also land you a job in higher secondary schools. And then, there is the option of physics tutor, at the convenience of one's homes.
- One can also be a consultant, in this field. And a Ph.D. degree plus M.Sc. Physics, sure spices up that resume,
- Some of the prominent national organizations, that one can try aim for, include Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), BARC, SSPL, Space Application Centres, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research Centre, Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre, National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC), Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) and National Atmospheric Research Laboratory of Department of Space.
- Noted research institutes in India such as Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics, Kolkata and Nuclear Science Centre, New Delhi also recruit M.Sc. Physics graduates, for technical jobs.
- At the same time, you can also look out for the national laboratories and institutes like National Geographical Research Institute, Regional Research Laboratories, National Institute of Science Communication and Information Sources etc. These are some of the leading names to be associated with the field of science
- Physics graduates have ample of opportunities, be it, in healthcare, manufacturing and electronics companies in most foreign countries.
- Those with exceptional academic excellence, can go a step further and apply in National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the best space research organization .
So, endless possibilities in the world of physics wait for those serious physics lovers .
|2yr ( 4semesters)
|Pass in BSc Physics. With not less than 50% marks